Our AGM will take place on Saturday October 22 (tomorrow) @ 10.30am. Instead of litter picking you are all invited to some tea, coffee and biscuits in the meeting room in the new community building. Let’s chat about the last year as well as the year(s) ahead.
Douglas Tidy Towns would like to upgrade (bilingually) the signage in the area and have identified the following. At our suggestion Cork County Council have indicated their willingness to erect street signs at these locations:
|Douglas East||(An) Dúglas Thoir|
|Douglas West||(An) Dúglas Thiar|
|Church Street||Sráid na hEaglaise|
|St. Columba’s Terrace||Ardán Cholmcille|
|Church Road||Bóthar na hEaglaise|
|Tramway Terrace||Ardán an Trambhealaigh|
|Old Carrigaline Road||Seanbhóthar Charraig Uí Leighin|
|St Patrick’s Terrace||Ardán Phádraig Naofa|
|Galwey’s Lane||Lána Galwey|
|The Pond Bank||Bruach na Linne|
|Churchyard Lane||Lána na Reilige|
|Fingerpost Roundabout||Timpeallán an Mhéir Eolais|
Douglas Tidy Towns would welcome input from the community in this regard. A proposal to name the walkway from East to West beside the N40 flyover as
River Walk / Bealach na hAbhann
is also being considered. Comments etc. to Douglas Tidy Towns, ℅ Douglas Community Centre, Church Road, Douglas or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** This event will be held indoors and will go ahead regardless of the weather. ***
In 1874, the present-day St Luke’s Church was consecrated. This was the third church on the site, replacing a smaller building that had been completed in 1786, barely one hundred years previously. Why did the Church of Ireland parishioners of Douglas decide to rebuild their church? And why did they choose a Gothic style for the new building? This parish was one where parishioners responded to the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland with energy and vigour, renewing their building to mark a new type of church community. Fashion, theology and democracy drove these changes. This Heritage Week, take a tour of St Luke’s Church, exploring the stories of the lay women and men, and clergy, who shaped it’s history. See the memorials to significant parishioners, and hear about Hugh Lane’s connection to St Luke’s in Douglas.
Start is at 2.30 pm.
On Saturday June 11 we are officially opening the Douglas Heritage Trail with a walk led by local historian Dr Aoife Bhreatnach. The walk will start at 11.30 am at the map board outside the Topaz station. The walk will lead us to some of the sites that form part of the trail and we expect to be finished just before 1pm. So, why not combine a visit to the Farmer Markets in Douglas with an interesting walk around the village?
And for more information about the trail see: http://douglastidytowns.ie/heritage-trail/
- Eimear Collins (soprano)
- Dan Twomey (tenor)
- David Keating (guitarist)
- Abby and Stephen (Trad. Folk)
- David O’ Sullivan (piano)
- Bernadette and Csheuli Gabuya (singers)